Saturday, April 2, 2011

Happy Birthday Jill!


These cupcakes were enjoyed by one and all. Except me. Sometimes I'm critical of what I make (okay, all the time), and I thought these came out a little dry. However, the recipe that I'm posting below aims to correct that dryness by increasing the butter, so feel free to try them.

I made these for my cube-mate Jill's birthday... the big 2-3. She is also my biggest competitor in the baking department. She promises that I did not let her down. So without further delay...


Coffee Cake Cupcakes
(adapted from my girl Martha)



This recipe has three parts (but is really not that complicated):
Cupcakes
Streusel topping
Milk glaze

I made the streusel topping first, because it has to chill. So I'll put those instructions first.

Streusel topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks) at room temperature

1. Whisk together dry ingredients, then add in the butter using a pastry blender or your fingertips. I used my hands to combine.
2. Combine until still crumbly.
3. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.

******************************
Cupcakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks) at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups sour cream

1. Whisk together first four ingredients
2. With an electric mixer on medium-high, cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until each is incorporated.
3. Stir in vanilla.
4. Add flour mixture slowly, then sour cream. Stir until just combined. At this point, the batter will be somewhat like bread dough, kind of sticky. I used a spoon to scoop out the batter, almost as if I was scooping cookie dough.
5. Line 24 muffin tins with paper liners
6. Divide batter evenly among lined cups.
7. Sprinkle half the streusel topping evenly over the cupcakes, pressing it into the batter with a spoon. Evenly sprinkle the remaining topping.
8. Bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes, rotating halfway through.
9. Remove from oven and let cool fully.

******************************
Milk Glaze:
Make this milk glaze right before using.

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons milk

1. Whisk together ingredients until smooth.
2. Drizzle over cupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment